Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Only on a Bet

They did it. Not me. A couple of months ago, my wife and some so-called friends of mine started a "stretch challenge" for the four of us. We were each to try something new, out of our comfort zones. Someone committed to trying yoga. Someone else committed to being "spontaneous" with his kids (committed to being spontaneous?). Well, anyway... There was also a most non-United Methodist aspect to this. Again, not my fault. They did it. They agreed that the Loser in this challenge event, the person who did not try their challenge, would owe everyone else a fine dinner at the end of three months for the challenge.

My stretch challenge was to accept a professional back-rub. My wife insists it is "a full-body massage", but I know a back-rub when I see one. This one just extends further in all directions.

Already you see I have competed, or complied; I'm not sure which. I went to the local back-rub artist, at the local Massage and Healing Center, aka "back-rub place". I had to remove my boots and some other stuff, then lie down in a small room where they displayed the Buddha and played the sound of ocean waves. Then the expert back-rubber did. It lasted an hour, kind of.

This is part one. I am obligated to complete two more similar parts in order to fulfill the Challenge and be saved from buying dinner for everybody else. They think this is a Challenge for me because I have body-image concerns dating back to childhood. I think it's just that nobody else ever offered a thorough back-rub.

So, anyway... today I am sophisticated, calmed, de-toxified, and soothed. It's amazing what a good back-rub will do for a guy!

No comments: